The 2022 - 2023 EHYC WINE CLUB will begin on September 16th this year. If you were part of the group last year, you will have already received an email to confirm your interest in continuing this year. If you have not been involved with the wine club before, we will very likely have a few openings this year, so I'd encourage you to consider joining the group! The Wine Club meeting format works like this: Typically, four wines each evening are selected for review, and a short discussion on what we are about to taste takes place. Then, we taste and discuss for 30 minutes or so. The nature of the selection varies - by varietal, by Country / Region, by single producer, by production process, etc. etc. We have been very fortunate to have guest winemakers take over the presentation on occasion. Further, other wine club members have prepared the presentation and the wine selection based on their own travels (way more interesting than I can do!). Usually the four wines are pre-poured, and we taste "blind" meaning you don't know the name of the wine or the producer until it is revealed at the end, along with pricing and source of supply. Occasionally we will do something other than wine on a given night such as ciders or beer. It is all very informal and unpretentious - the objective is to learn a little about wine, and engage with others at the table groupings to share thoughts and opinions. It's certainly not a "library quiet" serious event!! There is a food aspect to the club as well! In fact, I've always thought wine comes 3rd at our meetings - friends first, food second, and wine is the catalytic afterthought!! Basically each person or couple decides ahead of time to bring a shareable food item, randomly signing up to bring an appetizer, main, salad or dessert (related to the theme of the wines if possible), and we all have a potluck meal after the tasting presentation. No need for dinner at home on wine club Friday nights - there is always ample food, and most nights the food is better than the wines! Once the wine is mostly finished, and the food is gone, four or so members voluntarily clean-up by running all of the plates, glasses and cutlery through the dishwasher and putting everything away. I haven't worked out the pricing yet for this season - likely will be <$15.00 per person per night, fully billed in the fall for the whole season (September to June - 10 sessions). To indicate your interest, or if you have any questions, please email email@example.com Thanks! Kent Brownlow
EHYC Patio Open
EHYC is pleased to reopen the deck for members’ use. However, due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation, the following rules have been put in place. These may be revised when we officially move into the next phase.
The patio will open starting in June on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays from 12 noon until 10pm, with 2-hour slots, the last slot being 8pm, with departure no later than 10pm.
1. Access is by the back staircase (through the cave) and not through the clubhouse. The clubhouse will remain closed for the time being. Washrooms are available in the junior room.
2. Use of the deck must follow provincial guidelines. To facilitate, we will be limiting the numbers of people in total. In order to do this we will require signups to ensure that we don’t have too many people on the deck. If you do not have a confirmed booking please do not try and use the deck as this will potentially put others at risk. You can register using the link below:
3. Please do not block book multiple dates, we would wish for as many members as possible the opportunity to use the patio.
4. There will be 3 tables available with a maximum of 6 persons in total on the patio. You may book 1, 2 or 3 tables, and combine tables to create a larger table to accommodate no more than 6 on the patio.
5. The maximum time allowable is 2 hours, please ensure you include cleaning within these 2 hours as well a timely departure to avoid bumping into the next booking.
6. Members must bring everything they need including BBQ lighters, tools, plates, cutlery, glasses, etc as there will be no access to the kitchen in the clubhouse. We require that you clean the BBQ and tidy up the deck before you leave. We respectfully require that whatever you bring to the club must be taken home with you, including waste and garbage.
7. You will be responsible for the cleaning/sanitizing of your area used – the chairs, tables, bbq etc. Cleaning supplies will be provided.
8. Please respect the neighbourhood including adherence to West Vancouver Noise Bylaws.
If any member has concerns about the use of the deck by other members we ask that they report their concerns to the office.
Lastly, we thank you for your patience while we got the deck ready for members’ use. We want to do things the right way to ensure the health and safety of our members.