Contactless fire extinguisher checks – check the calendar for dates of drop off and pickup
Click on Members/Publications/Soundings. Find a quiet corner, reach for a hot or cold drink, get comfy and read what is happening at EHYC.
I’m pleased to be interacting with a lot of you from a distance this season with the warming Spring. I hope you’re all healthy and safe, and dealing well with the current constraints due to COVID-19. Please reach out to me or any other executive or member if you have any questions, concerns or request for assistance. We’re here to help each other as best as we can in these extraordinary times.
Our executive team met (virtually via video conference) this Monday evening and we agreed to the following revision to our COVID-19 policy for EHYC:
- Social events:
- Such events and gatherings will remain cancelled and prohibited, including Sailpast, Safety Day, Supercruise, Sailing School, Lobster Boil, BBQs and all rental events through to the end of Summer. We will continue to monitor and assess public health COVID-19 guidance and we will decide as we approach Autumn as to when we can re-convene for social events and gatherings in the latter part of this year.
- All workparties are cancelled until further notice due to COVID-19 social / physical distance concerns. We hope to re-start workparties later this year when deemed appropriate and safe as per public health guidance. If you have ideas to perform safely a workparty task in isolation, then please reach out to discuss with Brandon, Callum or me.
- Clubhouse closure:
- the clubhouse and upstairs deck will be closed effective immediately due to ongoing concern about COVID-19 spread in our community. We have disabled fob access to the upstairs clubhouse and will have it cordoned off at the bottom of the front stairs. The junior room remains accessible for members to use the two washrooms in the lower level. We will continue to monitor the public health COVID-19 guidance and will update you in the coming months as to status of clubhouse access.
- The icebox outside the office will be locked and no longer accessible, again due to concerns about COVID-19 spread.
- The tool and workbench area in the lower level of the clubhouse will be cordoned off and no longer accessible, due to COVID-19 concerns.
- Dock access:
- The docks will remain open to members so that they can access their boats.
- Please ensure to comply with public health COVID-19 guidance to maintain social / physical distance, i.e. at least 2 meters apart from anybody other than your own family / household members.
- Boating safety:
- RCM-SAR has posted a notice on the gate to our docks (as they’ve done at each of our local YCs and marinas) stating that marine search and rescue resources are diminished at this time due to COVID-19 and some RCM-SAR stations have stood down. Canadian Coast Guard Kitsilano as well as our local RCM-SAR Horseshoe Bay Station 1 are still on call 24/7. However, the guidance is that we “stay safe, stay home”. If individuals choose to venture out on the water, they should be attentive of their onboard self-rescue capabilities and possess the mandatory safety equipment. Boaters are also reminded to make and share with a responsible person a trip plan prior to departure.
- Cleaning / sanitization safety:
- In order to enhance member safety and to reduce viral spread, our superintendent will be performing 3 times per day the wiping with Lysol, Chlorox or bleach solution (rags to be washed daily at high temperature):
i. All door handles of lower level of clubhouse
ii. Railings of lower level of clubhouse
iii. All toilet handles, faucets, sinks and countertops of the two washrooms in the lower level of the clubhouse
iv. Railings of the gangway leading down to the docks
v. Handles of all the polypropylene garden carts used to transport personal items to/from dock and boat.
Thank you for your patience, understanding and cooperation. These are abnormal and challenging times, but let’s work together to facilitate community safety and to minimize viral spread. We look forward to the day when it’s sufficiently safe for us to convene for social gatherings and interactions at our club. For now, please take care, stay at home as much as possible and be safe!
I want to end this email message with a 7pm moment of gratitude, a big shout-out and thanks to all those health-care practitioners on the frontlines helping to save lives and care for the infected and sick – your professional and heroic deeds are much appreciated! Some of these heroes are within our community, within our club – thank you! I also want to acknowledge all the essential service workers who continue to contribute critically to our society in these challenging times – thank you!
Commodore, Eagle Harbour Yacht Club
On Saturday April 25 (same day as Safety Day) your boat can be transformed for Sail Past with help from the Junior Club. Click here for more details.
Please sign up in advance (spaces are limited this year – we can only do about 8 boats) so we can get your boat looking its best. Please provide the following:
1) Member Name
2) Boat Name/Length
3)Dock and Slip Number (see ehyc dock plan616)
4) Special Requests